- Repair Café
- About us
- Join us
- Hire a Space
- Courses & Activities
Interested in practical wine appreciation and understanding the wine making process? This course will provide you with the practical and fundamental skills to appreciate wine and introduce you to winemaking. forty acre wines award winning winemaker Rod Drysdale and guest speakers will take you through the process of wine appreciation in the context of winemaking. Anyone interested in wine or considering working in a wine/hospitality industry or starting up a micro winery would benefit from this course. Being an introduction course no prior knowledge is required.
Below are the key topics that will be covered though depending in the interest of the class the emphasis can be changed.
• The fundamentals of wine appreciation.
• Understanding the aroma wheel and simplifying it.
• Wine and its colour
• Tasting of Australian White and Red wines. The focus will be on local wines.
• Common Wine faults
• The end to end wine making process in a micro winery.
• Winery equipment.
• Harvesting, Destemming and Crushing
• Different approaches to fermenting Red and White wine
• Pressing and clarification
• The aging and storage of wine
• Bottling of wine including closures.
• Cellar door operations / boutique wine business (optional)
• Wine tasting dinner (optional)
All tasting wine and glasses will be provided. Bring along a notepad an pen.
Winemaker Rod Drysdale Rod’s discovery of wine started in the late 80’s after studying and travelling in southern France where wine was a way of life. After completing wine studies at BRIT under the respected winemaker Mal Stewart, Rod became a part time apprentice at Big Shed Wines in central Victoria to Dr Ken Jones the renowned Professor of Bio Technology & Genetics previously from Edinburgh University. After establishing Forty Acre Wines Rod now makes quality handcrafted wine at in his own right from grapes sourced from the Macedon Ranges and surrounds. At the Daylesford Wine Exhibition 2015 Rod was awarded the Julian West Memorial Trophy. This recognizes forty acre wines as one of the best small wineries in Central Victoria
Sign up today and receive a discount code for 10% off a course of your choice.
NB Offer applies to one course once a calendar year. Full details here